FEELed Lab Research Associate, Fire + Water 2023
In May 2022, the FEELed Lab convened the first “Fire + Water” symposium. It was organised by the FEELed Lab (Rina Garcia Chua, Coralee Miller, Madeline Donald, Dani Pierson, and Astrida Neimanis) with support from ASLE (the Association for the Study of Literature and Environment); the Sncewips Heritage Museum of Westbank First Nation, and the Faculty of Critical and Creative Studies. This one-day symposium centred the voices of Syilx and other IBPOC critical and creative thinkers, performers and makers on the question of fire and water in the Okanagan watershed and beyond. By focusing on participatory, arts-based and creative contributions, Fire + Water reminded us that effectively addressing these acute environmental questions requires multiple kinds of knowledges and practices. The program of that day is available here, and you can read more about it here.
We are seeking a Research Associate to help conceptualize, plan, and convene the 2023 Fire + Water symposium.
Tasks will include:
- Research on potential contributors and sessions
- Participating in conceiving and designing the program of events
- Communicating with contributors
- Assistance with fundraising applications
- Supported convening of the event on the day
If you would like to apply for the position of Fire + Water Research Associate, please send an email to the Director of the FEELed Lab at email@example.com, including:
- A brief cover letter (1-2 paragraphs) describing why you are interested in this position and outlining any previous experience you have (e.g. courses you have taken, volunteer, paid or community work, convening events, etc) that might be relevant. This includes experience or interest in feminist, antiracist, decolonial, queer and accessible approaches to environmental issues.
- Your CV
These tasks will comprise approximately 12 working hours before the December break, and 72 hours between January and May 2023 (precise schedule will be negotiated with the successful applicant.) The honorarium, in the form of a research assistanceship, will be $2800. Fire & Water 2023 is tentatively scheduled to take place on either 28 April or 12 May, 2023.
We invite applications from undergraduate, graduate, postdoctoral or community researchers. We will begin reviewing applications on November 1, 2022.
We hope that the Research Associate will contribute to the vibrancy of the FEELed Lab in other ways, such as participating in other events, attending and contributing to FEELed Lab Open Meetings, and suggesting or initiating other research that the FEELed Lab might support.
Additionally, the FEELed Lab may produce one or more collaborative publications in the coming year; Research Associates will be invited to contribute to these (see, for e.g., our collaborative zine produced in June 2023). Even if you choose not to participate in the preparation of these publications, your contributions will be acknowledged when we draw on your research in relation to the above.